Our unit x project was a very illuminating experience and nothing like what I was expecting from previous group projects. Despite the many snags we hit along the way, ultimately the outcome was a great success in how it was built as a theoretical concept and the ideas had remained consistent into its final assembly. I believe this idea had its limitations in some areas as well as being limitless in what we could create. This projects has opened me up far more to the various 2D animation techniques that I have encountered in the past, now I know how to utilize them around an abstract and very mixed media project. Attending the animation workshops proved instrumental in designing the videos used in the installation. As a group we had decided whatever idea we would be working on did not necessarily have to be in the medium of film, photography and animation, this helped us in keeping an open mind in collecting broad ideas and it resulted in our project being much more unique than it may have otherwise ended up.
About those snags however, they seemed to be somewhat out of our control. The first issue seemed to be with the projectors being far too big for the plinths. You couldn’t put the glass close enough to the lens without there being some of over spill, they also produced a significant amount of heat which was very noticeable in a room of synthetic fabric. The room itself was built with hooks, pegs and string suspended from the roof tiles. Problems encountered here are the quantity of fabric we had to use. I have done similar set ups in past exhibitions which made this easier to construct once we had the means of hanging the walls. The whole group helped with the construction of the room so any technical problems that came up were quickly dealt with.
Eventually we had the projectors switch to smaller ones that improved the aesthetics of the set up greatly. Smaller projectors could be put right up to the glass and have no over spill at all. The bigger projectors also took much of the focus away from the glass, they in themselves being a big part of the composition benefited from being fully seen illuminated in a free space.
As a group we would all meet up 2-3 times a week to test out our work and collect more materials and footage was the best way to stay on top of where the project was going and how it was to be achieved. It built our strength as a team and we cooperated better the more we got comfortable with each other. I value the skills I have developed in collaborating with others in vast creative projects. I feel I will also benefit from creating contacts with people learning other creative subjects as a resource for future projects. The exhibition could have been improved with a more dynamic set up; with more time and more investment in resources, the light could have been set as directional and in a wider space. the original idea was to have the light from underneath the glass and have the top shelf rotate, of course this was would have required us to build a custom plinth with a motorized rotating panel. Understandably, this didn’t happen but the set up we went with worked very successfully in the end. perhaps it was this true element of chance being consistent through every step of production. The outcome was never certain in exactly the effect it would have. everything was down to the condition of the moment. every test was in a different room, never the same video, never the same angle, always a brand new result. this is liberating as a representation of interpenetration. People at the exhibition would describe it as calming, others found it claustrophobic. It truly embodied the idea of energy and variable chance.
The videos show two different set ups of the exhibition.
The final compilations projected through the vessels.